Thursday, January 22, 2009

yikes!

I've been neglecting.

time is just running, sprinting in the other direction.

my agenda is full, but I'm still planning (as always...)


tomorrow I'll invest in the yoga package, nab some groceries (did I write about the vegan Indian packets yet? YUM!), and hopefully I'll catch a weekend day off so I can work on upping my zzzzzzzzs.

the boyfriend and I went shopping the other day at a produce market, and picked up some jicama. I've been meaning to try it for awhile (the boyfriend... notsomuch).

diagnosis?
LOVE it!

(at least.... I love it. he makes fun of me and calls it YUCK-ama)

it has an almost fruitlike sweetness, but more the consistency of an apple or potato (hence the common name, "mexican potato"). we sliced some up for a salad the other night, and it was a great compliment to the tanginess of the balsamic vinaigrette that we tossed everything in.

unfortunately, foreign and exotic fruits are hard to come by in my area, especially in the winter. I've read many pages defending the "eat with the seasons" theory, and I think that might be something else to tackle in the coming weeks.

does anyone else on a budget find it hard to plan for buying food? my problem is that if I buy everything I'll need for the next 2 weeks, half of it will go bad because I can't eat it fast enough. and if I buy as much as I think I'll need for only 1 week (which is typically all I can afford at the time), I run out of food. and then I end up concocting some carb-heavy mess like last night.... whole-wheat pasta, onion, garlic, butter, and half&half (for creaminess, of course, was my argument).

maybe I just need more grab n' go fresh foods, and some other easy options to take with me to work, etc.

today for instance... I have enough fruit and some veggies to last me through work, but I didn't plan for the fact that I'll be studying afterward, and then attending my 6pm class. I would rather not go out and buy anything, but at this point, it's my only option unless I want to forgo food from 3-10pm.


my goal for next week?
plan my meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment